SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 16 May 2013

East Hills AND Blakeney Point!!!


RED-BREASTED FLYCATCHER
The Plantation, Blakeney Point


With east in the wind I had definately made my mind up to do either East Hills or Blakeney Point. I hummed and harred for ages – my instinct said BP but in the end I took Eddie's advice and went for East Hills, as he pointed out by text 'more chance of finding the big one' – yeah right! That's the last time I take any advice from Eddie! (smile). Also I did feel slightly girly, as even though I have been out to East Hills a few times on my own, I haven't been out since last Autumn and it is to be fair a bit of a scary walk at times!
 Hundreds of Wood Pigeons errupting from the pines at East Hills.

Bluebells at East Hills.

East Hills
Parked on the concrete pad and started walking at 1.20pm. There was no birds of note really, along the West track apart from a few Chaffinches and a Blackcap singing. Half way out the pager bleeped up with 'Red-breasted Flycatcher, The Plantation, Blakeney Point' – BOTHER! Then at the deep creek I fell over and got really muddy – well you kind of expect it out here really! I arrived at the dunes at 2.20pm. It was a beautiful walk out there and I felt a little excited at finding something good today. The large lagoon was completely dried out and 2 Shelducks sat on the caked mud. I couldn't believe it, when I couldn't find a single measly bird out here in all the best bits. Not a single bird in the sycamore glade at all. A black plastic suitcase type box I dragged from the beach last year to use as a drinking pool was still where I had left it and filled with water in all the little compartments. It wasn't until I got to the far end of the hills that I found what looked like a Whitethroat bomb across into a bramble, but I couldn't get it out to ID properly – one of those birds that just melts in the bush never to be seen again. Had a robin and a wren, wow! (note sarcasm). Hundreds (that's what it looked like) of Wood Pigeons errupted out of the tall pine trees and flew south east over the salt marsh and that was the only excitement I had! Two fish boxes I had placed for seats in the long grass by the tall pines had been dragged back down to the beach below and used for barbecues – sadly rubbish left here included a old pack of bacon rashes amongst beer cans and other stuff! I could have stayed out here longer, as low tide wasn't until after 5pm, but I had had enough and I had this crazy thought in my head about attempting to walk out to Blakeney Point as well today. I worked hard and searched everywhere, sat at the sycamore glade again just before I departed at 4.45pm. It took an hour to get to the concrete pad. Plus point was, I didn't fall over on the way back!

Back at the car I wrestled to get my wellies off with the boot jack, removed socks, heaven! Put new socks on and walking boots, had coffee, sandwich and re-packed rucksack for Blakeney Point. A couple of birders I know with a little white dog, who I see around Cley alot, arrived on the concrete pad and couldn't believe I was now going to walk to Blakeney Point. Yep I know I am crazy! But I wanted to see at least one good bird today.


 RED-BREASTED FLYCATCHER
The Plantation, Blakeney Point

Blakeney Point
Parked at Coastguards, Cley. I could see several Yellow Wagtails amongst the cows and there was probably some blue-headed amongst them, but I didn't have time to get the scope out. Time was of the essence now. It was 6.45pm when I started my tough walk up the Point. Luckily the tide was still lowish, so I was able to speed walk straight along the beach. I looked for and picked up a lucky stone on route. As I crossed over the shingle towards 'The Plantation' I saw at least 3 Wheatears. It was my quickest ever walk up here and I got to the plantation at 7.55pm. The sun had not disappeared over the dunes yet. I walked along the front of the plantation, no sign, my heart started to sink. Had I exhausted myself to see nothing? I walked round the corner of the fence and I saw a small bird flit and land on a branch – that was it!!! There it was, the wonderful Red-breasted FlycatcherWow! I smiled – it had been worth the slog up here after all! What a poser that bird was – I sat patiently and the bird showed off, flicked its tail, sat left on the branch, hopped round to the right, looked cute and then fluffy and generally posed. I couldn't believe I actually saw this bird and got some decent pictures at this time of the night. I watched the bird from 8pm until 8.20pm. Another bird landed in the bushes and it seemed to disappear after that, obviously to roost. I sat and had a coffee and something to eat and then prepared for the cruel slog back to Coastguards. The tide was coming in now and I couldn't walk along the hard sand for very long before getting splashed from the waves, so most of the walk had to be carried out on shingle. It just about killed me and it seemed to take forever to get back. I had a torch with me, but didn't really need it – light of the moon helped. I saw something very odd on route – what looked like rabbits or hares ran across the shingle from the marsh to the sea's edge and then run back! I just couldn't work out why – maybe they were going for a dip! This happened at least three or four times. I eventually got back to Coastguards at 10.30pm! I have never enjoyed sitting in my car so much! Had a coffee whilst blogpressing to my blog and then drove home. Took ages to sort all my gear out. I don't think I will be doing any long walks tomorrow, if at all! No doubt I will have BP achy hips to remind me that I shouldn't have really done that walk as well as East Hills! Oh well, it was worth it to see that Red-breasted Flycatcher!

I bet you anything you like, that something mega will be found on BP tomorrow so I have to walk out there again!
 Red-breasted Flycatcher – Bird of the Day!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely account as usual Penny. Glad you connected with the RB Flycatcher.....hope the hips don't ache too much this morning.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul! Very achy hips - suffering today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking shots of a cracking bird and you had it all to yourself. Even better!

    Cheers,

    Seumus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! It was very special indeed!

    ReplyDelete